Skip To Main Content

Families dealing with transition/homelessness

Information for Families in Transition    


District Contact Information  

Kelli Vogt Washington-Caldwell School District Homeless Education Liaison 262-662-3466  If you know or suspect a student is homeless, notify the Washington-Caldwell School District Homeless Liaison. 

Who is Homeless?  

Children and youth who lack fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence including children and youth who are:  

  • Doubling Up or Sharing the housing of another person due to loss of housing or economic hardship.  
  • Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, cars, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or campgrounds.  
  • Living in emergency or transitional shelters.  
  • Migratory children who are living in circumstances described above.  
  • Unaccompanied youth, including youth who are not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian, such as runaway or youth who have been denied housing by their family. 

What is the McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act?  

A federal law that provides certain rights and protections for families experiencing homelessness  Students age 21 and younger may be eligible to receive help with the following services:
• School lunch  
• School supplies  
• Transportation
• Educational Support
• School Fees
• Opportunities to participate in extracurricular activities

Local Resources  

Caldwell Food Pantry 8504 Caldwell Rd Waterford, WI 53185 262-662-2679  

Love, Inc. Provides a food pantry, clothing, school supplies, counseling, and information for rent assistance, energy assistance, and emergency lodging 780 S Pine Street, Burlington, WI 53105 262-763-6226  

Transitional Living Center (TLC) Shelter Provides information and referral, short - term emergency shelter for women and children , transitional living services, and financial mentoring. 482 S. Pine Street, Burlington, WI 53105 (262) 767-1478  

Emergency Assistance

Financial assistance for families facing a current emergency due to fire, flood, natural disaster, or homelessness (including potential eviction) due to a financial crisis.  Eligibility requirements apply, along with required documentation. ResCare Inc., 2113 W. Wisconsin Street Racine, WI (262) 637-9774  

Call 211 for community resources  Impact in Milwaukee covers Racine County. If 211 does not work from your phone, call toll-free at 866-211-3380, and also report the issue. Searchable online database is available at:  If you need further assistance, call the National Center for Homeless Education at the toll free Helpline: 1-800-308-2145 

McKinney Vento Act Educational Rights for Every Student  

  • Attend school, no matter where they live now or how long they’ve lived there. You don’t need a permanent address to enroll in school.
  • Not be denied school enrollment just because school records or other enrollment documentation are not immediately available.
  • Enroll and attend classes in the parents’ school of choice even while the school and parents seek to resolve a dispute over enrollment.
  • Continue in the school they attended before they became homeless, if that is the parents’ choice and is feasible.
  • Receive transportation to and from the school the child last attended prior to becoming homeless, if the parent/guardian requests it.
  • Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless.
  • Participate in extracurricular activities and all federal, state, or local programs for which he/she is eligible. 

IT IS YOUR RIGHT TO APPEAL A SCHOOL’S DECISION Parents, Guardians, and unaccompanied youth living in temporary housing have a right to appeal a school’s decision. Please contact the Homeless Liaison to appeal.